Update for the Week Ending November 11, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water for dust control;
- Continued the application of foam and BioSolve for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued shallow excavation and backfilling on the western areas of the Site;
- Continued lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal:
- 68 trucks; 1,833.48 tons shipped last week; and
- 33,268.13 tons shipped to date.
- Continued crushing and stockpiling reuse material to be used for backfill in the deep excavation on the eastern area of the Site; and
- Continued testing of the installed tiebacks.
- Continue the installation of tiebacks through the support of excavation (SOE) sheet pile wall for external bracing; and
- Continue deep excavation within the SOE wall under the temporary containment building (TCB).
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), or odors during this reporting period.
There was one instance of the Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust] levels exceeding the Action Limit at AMS-2 on November 9 at the eastern area of the Site. No work was being performed in this area at the time, and dust levels quickly returned to below the Response Limit.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Excavating non-impacted concrete structures for reuse from the shallow excavation area.
Loading reuse material from the shallow excavation area for transfer to the eastern area of the site for crushing.
Breaking subsurface concrete structures in the shallow excavation area and applying water for dust control.
Excavating impacted material from the shallow excavation area.
Breaking subsurface concrete structures in the shallow excavation area and applying water and foam for VOC and dust control.
Loading lined trucks with impacted soils from the shallow excavation area for shipment to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal.