Update for the Week Ending October 21, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water for dust control;
- Continued the application of foam and BioSolve for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued shallow excavation on the western areas of the Site;
- Continued crushing and stockpiling reuse material to be used for backfill in the deep excavation;
- Continued the installation of tiebacks through the support of excavation (SOE) sheet pile wall for external bracing:
- 15 tie-backs installed last week; and
- 51 of 76 tie-backs installed to date.
- Continued testing of the installed tiebacks.
- Continue deep excavation within the SOE wall under the temporary containment building (TCB); and
- Continue lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or odors during this reporting period.
There were two action level exceedances for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust] on October 19, 2016 at AMS-2 during breaking and crushing of concrete reuse material and as reuse material was being offloaded from the Site truck to the eastern area of the Site while water was being applied to the area. Additional water was applied in the vicinity of the truck offload area, and PM levels dropped below the response limit.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Installing (drilling) tiebacks (external bracing) for the SOE wall in the deep excavation (east wall).
Installing (drilling) tie-backs (external bracing) for the SOE wall in the deep excavation (west wall).
Installing (drilling) tie-backs (external bracing) for the SOE wall in the deep excavation (north wall).
Conducting shallow excavation in the western area of the Site.
Excavating and loading reuse material from the shallow excavation for transfer to the eastern area of the Site for crushing and stockpiling.
Breaking subsurface concrete structures in the shallow excavation area and applying water for dust control.
Washing the Site truck tires at the decontamination pad prior to exiting to N. 12th Street.