Update for the Week Ending September 30, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water, odor-suppressant foam, and BioSolve for odor and dust control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued shallow excavation on the western areas of the Site;
- Continued backfilling and compacting select fill in the shallow excavation in the western areas of the Site;
- Continued lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal:
- 49 trucks; 1,404.36 tons shipped last week; and
- 28,318.57 tons shipped to date.
- Continued the installation of tie-backs through the SOE sheet pile wall for external bracing:
- 7 tie-backs installed last week; and
- 13 of 76 tie-backs installed to date.
- Continue deep excavation within the SOE wall under the TCB; and
- Initiate testing of the tie-backs.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], or odors during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Installing (drilling) tie-backs (external bracing) for the SOE wall in the deep excavation (south wall).
Installing (drilling) tie-backs (external bracing) for the SOE wall in the deep excavation (east wall).
Backing lined trucks onto the Site to load impacted soil from the shallow excavation.
Excavating and breaking subsurface concrete structures in the shallow excavation.
Breaking subsurface concrete structures in the shallow excavation and applying water for dust control.
Applying foam to the shallow excavation for VOC and odor control.
Grading select fill in the shallow excavation area.
Grading and compacting select fill in the shallow excavation area.
Conducting compaction testing of the select fill lifts in the shallow excavation area.