Update for the Week Ending August 19, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water, odor-suppressant foam, and BioSolve for odor and dust control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued crushing clean excavated material for reuse as backfill in the deep excavation; and
- Initiated the deep excavation within the support of excavation (SOE) wall under the temporary containment building (TCB).
Recently completed activities:
- Completed the assembly the TCB components in new location
- Completed the installation of electrical service for the vapor management system (VMS) for the TCB;
- Completed the installation, startup and testing of the VMS components for the TCB; and
- Properly abandoned one monitoring well located in the deep excavation area.
- Continue the deep excavation within the SOE wall; and
- Continue the loading of lined trucks and shipment of impacted soils to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], or odors during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Installing fabric doors on the TCB.
Installing VMS components for the TCB.
Loading carbon in the VMS filter beds.
Breaking hardscape (concrete and asphalt) prior to initiating excavation under the TCB.
Initiating excavation in the northeast corner under the TCB.
Applying water to the Site truck route for dust control.