Update for the Week Ending August 5, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water and calcium chloride for dust control;
- Continued the application of odor-suppressant foam and BioSolve for odor and dust control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads and excavated areas to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal:
- 6 trucks; 173.66 tons shipped last week; and
- 9,801.29 tons shipped to date.
- Continued crushing clean excavated material for reuse as backfill in the deep excavation;
- Loaded and transported two loads of clean asphalt to Bayshore Soil Management for recycling;
- Continued shallow excavation and backfilled select fill with compaction on the eastern side of the Site;
- Decommissioned four monitoring wells in the eastern areas of the Site;
- Continued plumbing the ground water extraction wells and sumps with pumps to convey water from the deep excavation area to the WTP;
- Continued the assembly of the expansion of the temporary containment building (TCB) over the deep excavation area; and
- Initiated the installation of electrical service for the dewatering pumps and lighting and vapor management system (VMS) for the TCB.
- Install the six VMS units for the TCB; and
- Initiate the deep excavation within the SOE wall.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], or odors during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Conducting shallow excavation in the eastern areas of the Site.
Loading clean excavated material for transfer to the reuse soil stockpile on Site.
Breaking the former holder tank sidewalls in the shallow excavation area.
Compacting the select fill in the shallow excavation areas.
Conducting compaction testing of the select fill.
Assembling the TCB superstructure (framework).
Lifting the superstructure with a crane to assemble the TCB.
Installing fabric on the TCB superstructure.