Update for the Week Ending April 15, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water and calcium chloride for dust control;
- Continued the application of odor-suppressant foam and BioSolve for dust and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued operation of the water treatment plant (WTP) and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued investigatory pre-drilling for deep obstruction identification along the alignment of the support of excavation (SOE) wall; and
- Initiated modification of the Temporary Containment Building (TCB) to remove the western-most (gable end) bay in preparation for excavating the cement/bentonite (CB) slurry trench along the east SOE alignment.
Recently completed activities:
- Completed backfilling the Holder No. 2 tank with reuse material for future placement in the deep excavation.
- Continue the lining, loading, and shipment of trucks of impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal; and
- Initiate the excavation of the CB slurry trench for installation of the SOE wall sheet piles.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs), or odors during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Investigatory pre-drilling for deep obstruction identification along the north alignment of the SOE wall.
Investigatory Pre-drilling for deep obstruction identification along the south alignment of the SOE wall.
Investigatory Pre-drilling for deep obstruction identification along the east alignment of the SOE wall.
Grading backfill placed above the ISS in the Holder No. 2 tank beneath the TCB.
Installing reinforcement to east end of the TCB in preparation for the removal of a western-most bay.