Gas used for cooking, lighting, heating and commercial purposes was manufactured at the Williamsburg Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) from approximately 1887 through the late 1930’s or early 1940’s. Historical records, while incomplete, indicate that an independent company operated the plant before that company merged to form Brooklyn Union Gas in 1895. The plant used coal and petroleum products to create a flammable gas which was piped into the surrounding neighborhoods. After the property was sold by Brooklyn Union, it was subdivided and now has multiple private owners and uses, including commercial and warehouse operations and a former City of New York Department of Sanitation garage. National Grid is responsible for the investigation and remediation of the site because it was operated by a predecessor company (Brooklyn Union) at the time MGP-related contamination occurred.
This website provides information on the Williamsburg former MGP Site, the Remedial Investigation of the site, and opportunities for public participation. National Grid is committed to the protection and enhancement of the environment, always seeking ways to minimize the environmental impacts of our past, present and future activities. We hope this website, a part of our public participation and outreach efforts, is helpful and informative. If you need additional information or have suggestions to make our website better, please contact the individuals listed under Contacts.
For more information about the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s Manufactured Gas Plant Site program go to: http://www.dec.ny.gov/
Williamsburg Works Interim Remedial Measure
NAPL Recovery Wells
The non-aqueous Phase Liquid (NAPL) Recovery Well installation and development field work for the 50 Kent Avenue Interim Remedial Measure (IRM) includes the installation of recovery wells to recover coal tar at the 50 Kent Avenue property of the Former Williamsburg Works MGP Site.
Update for the Week Ending January 6, 2017
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water for dust control;
- Continued the application of foam and BioSolve for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued deep excavation within the support of excavation (SOE) wall in the temporary containment building (TCB); and
- Continued lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal:
- 201 trucks; 5,584.56 tons shipped this week; and
- 53,806.93 tons shipped to date.
- Initiate backfilling the deep excavation with crushed and stockpiled reuse material; and
- Complete excavation and backfilling in the western shallow excavation area.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no 15-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or odors.
The Action Limit of 150 ug/m3 for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust] was exceeded on January 5, 2017, at AMS-3 due to trucks releasing their air brakes near the CAM station. The Contractor spread additional calcium chloride on the clean backfill, and PM levels returned to below the Response Limit.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Lining trucks prior to entering the Site for loading.
Loading lined trucks with impacted soil from the deep excavation in the TCB.
Applying foam to the excavation for VOC and odor control in the TCB.
Washing lined and loaded trucks on the decontamination pad prior to leaving the Site.