Update for the Week Ending February 17, 2017
Site Remediation Continues
Deep Excavation Nears Completion:
- Continued the application of water for dust control;
- Continued the application of foam and BioSolve for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation and maintenance of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued the import of select fill;
- Continued backfilling in the deep excavation with select fill;
- Continued backfilling in the western shallow excavation area with select fill;
- Continued compaction of the backfill;
- Continued compaction testing of the backfill lifts; and
- Continued decontaminating and demobilizing equipment from the Site.
- Completed cutting the support of excavation (SOE) wall tiebacks and removing whalers and bracing; and
- Disassemble and demobilize the TCB from the Site;
- Cut all SOE wall sheet piles to five feet below final Site grade;
- Complete backfilling in the deep excavation; and
- Complete excavation and backfilling in the western shallow excavation area.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no 15-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], or odors.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Placing and grading select fill backfill in the deep excavation.
Compacting select fill backfill lifts in the deep excavation.
Removing tiebacks, whalers, and bracing from the SOE wall sheet piles.
CDisconnecting and dismantling the vapor management system components from the TCB.
Washing select fill delivery truck tires prior to leaving the Site.