Update for the Week Ending January 13, 2017
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water for dust control;
- Continued the application of foam and BioSolve for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued deep excavation within the support of excavation (SOE) wall in the temporary containment building (TCB);
- Initiated backfilling in the deep excavation with stone and reuse soil;
- Initiated compaction of the backfill; and
- Continued lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal:
- 179 trucks; 4,610.49 tons shipped this week; and
- 61,457.75 tons shipped to date.
- Complete the deep excavation in the TCB;
- Cut all SOE wall sheet piles to five feet below final Site grade;
- Complete backfilling in the deep excavation;
- Disassemble and demobilize the TCB; and
- Complete excavation and backfilling in the western shallow excavation area.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no 15-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], or odors.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Breaking subsurface structures, stockpiling, and loading lined trucks with impacted soil from the deep excavation (30 feet below ground surface).
Completing excavation in the northeast corner of the deep excavation.
Placing geotextile and stone backfill on the northern portion of the completed excavation.
Placing stone on the geotextile in the northern portion of the completed excavation.
Transferring select fill from the stockpile to the TCB.
Grading stone backfill in the deep excavation area.
Grading and compacting lifts of reuse soil in the deep excavation.