Update for the Week Ending December 9, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water for dust control;
- Continued the application of foam and BioSolve for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued deep excavation within the support of excavation (SOE) wall in the temporary containment building (TCB); and
- Continued lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal:
- 148 trucks; 2,608.36 tons shipped last week; and
- 42,277.14 tons shipped to date.
- Continued crushing and stockpiling reuse material on the eastern area of the Site to be used for backfill in the deep excavation.
- Completed the load testing of the installed tiebacks for the SOE wall.
- Initiate backfilling the deep excavation with crushed and stockpiled reuse material; and
- Complete excavation and backfilling in the western shallow excavation area.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), or odors during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Crushing and stockpiling reuse material and applying water for dust control.
Excavating on the north end of the SOE wall and applying BioSolve for VOC control in the TCB.
Excavating on the south end of the SOE wall in the Holder No. 1 tank.
Excavating to install a dewatering sump in the northwest corner of the SOE wall.
Stockpiling excavated soil and applying foam for VOC and odor control.