Update for the Week Ending November 4, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water for dust control;
- Continued the application of foam and BioSolve for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued shallow excavation and backfilling on the western areas of the Site;
- Continued lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal:
- 59 trucks; 1,371.40 tons shipped last week; and
- 31,434.65 tons shipped to date.
- Continued crushing and stockpiling reuse material to be used for backfill in the deep excavation;
- Continued the installation of tiebacks through the support of excavation (SOE) sheet pile wall for external bracing:
- 7 tiebacks installed last week; and
- 75 of 76 tiebacks installed to date.
- Continued testing of the installed tiebacks.
- Continue deep excavation within the SOE wall under the temporary containment building (TCB).
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), or odors during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Winterizing and weatherproofing the water treatment plant components.
Installing (drilling) tie-backs (external bracing) for the SOE wall in the deep excavation (west wall).
Conducting shallow excavation in the western area of the Site.
Loading lined trucks with impacted soil from the shallow excavation area.
Applying foam to the shallow excavation area for VOC and odor control.
Grading select fill placed in the shallow excavation area.