Update for the Week Ending October 28, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water for dust control;
- Continued the application of foam and BioSolve for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued pumping from the decontamination pads, excavated areas, sumps and dewatering wells to the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued operation of the WTP and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued crushing and stockpiling reuse material to be used for backfill in the deep excavation;
- Continued the installation of tiebacks through the support of excavation (SOE) sheet pile wall for external bracing:
- 17 tiebacks installed last week; and
- 68 of 75 tiebacks installed to date.
- Continued testing of the installed tiebacks.
- Continue deep excavation within the SOE wall under the temporary containment building (TCB);
- Continue shallow excavation and backfilling on the western areas of the Site; and
- Continue lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or odors during this reporting period.
There was one action level exceedance for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust] on October 24, 2016, at AMS-2 during breaking and crushing of concrete reuse material on the eastern area of the Site while water was being applied to the area. Additional water was applied, and PM levels dropped below the response limit.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Installing (drilling) tie-backs (external bracing) for the SOE wall in the deep excavation (west wall).
Installing (drilling) tie-backs (external bracing) for the SOE wall in the deep excavation (north and west walls).
Crushing reuse material on the eastern area of the Site.