Update for the Week Ending July 15, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water and calcium chloride for dust control;
- Continued the application of odor-suppressant foam and BioSolve for odor and dust control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued operation of the water treatment plant (WTP) and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued lining and loading trucks and shipping impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal:
- 19 trucks; 496.09 tons shipped last week; and
- 8,102.23 tons shipped to date.
- Continued installation of dewatering wells inside the SOE wall in preparation for the deep excavation; and
- Conducted shallow excavation and backfilled select fill with compaction on the east and west sides of the support of excavation (SOE) wall.
Recently completed activities:
- Completed installation of the sheet piles in the cement/bentonite (CB) slurry trench to final depth for the support of excavation SOE wall:
- 629 of 629 linear feet installed.
- Relocate and expand the temporary containment building (TCB) over the SOE wall area in preparation for conducting the deep excavation;
- Initiate abandonment of monitoring wells located within the excavation; and
- Initiate the deep excavation within the SOE wall.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], or odors during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Installing sheet piles in the CB slurry trench to final depth along the west alignment of the SOE walll.
Installing dewatering wells at the southeast corner inside the SOE wall and deep excavation area.
Installing dewatering wells inside the east alignment of the SOE wall and deep excavation area.
Conducting shallow excavation outside the east alignment of the SOE wall.
Conducting shallow excavation and loading trucks with soil for transfer to the impacted or reuse soil staging areas.
Backfilling the shallow excavation with select fill above the demarcation fabric.