Update for the Week Ending April 8, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water and calcium chloride for dust control;
- Continued the application of odor-suppressant foam and BioSolve for dust and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip and straw filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued operation of the water treatment plant (WTP) and discharge to the sewer;
- Continued pre-drilling for deep obstruction identification and removal along the alignment of the support of excavation (SOE) wall;
- Initiated the backfilling of the Holder No. 2 tank with reuse material for future placement in the deep excavation; and
- Loaded and shipped clean asphalt to Bayshore Soil Management for recycling:
- 10 trucks; 253.32 tons shipped last week; and
- 253.32 tons shipped to Bayshore to date.
Recently completed activities:
- Completed the full scale In-Situ Stabilization (ISS) Bucket Soil Mixing (BSM) in the Holder No. 2 tank with the stabilization of the remaining, top material in the Holder No. 2 tank above the twenty stabilized cells; and
- Completed crushing clean, reusable concrete and soil for use as backfill in the deep excavation.
- Continue the lining, loading, and shipment of trucks of impacted soil to Bayshore Soil Management for treatment and disposal; and
- Complete pre-clearing and initiate the excavation of the cement/bentonite slurry (CB) trench for installation of the SOE wall sheet piles.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs), or odors during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Pre-drilling for deep obstruction identification along the eastern alignment of the SOE wall.
Completing the final, top layer of the ISS BSM in the Holder No. 2 tank beneath the temporary containment building (TCB).
Placing backfill in the Holder No. 2 tank above the ISS material beneath the TCB.
Grading backfill placed above the ISS in the Holder No. 2 tank beneath the TCB.
Loading clean asphalt for shipment to Bayshore Soil Management for recycling.