Update for the Week Ending February 26, 2016
Site Remediation Continues
- Continued the application of water and calcium chloride for dust control;
- Continued the application of odor-suppressant foam and BioSolve for dust and odor control;
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site and covered all stockpiles);
- Continued operation of the WTP; and
- Continued pre-trenching and demolition of subsurface obstructions in the alignment of the Support of Excavation (SOE) wall.
- Conduct full scale Bucket Soil Mixing (BSM) in the Holder No. 2 tank;
- Continue the shipment of impacted shallow soils for treatment and disposal;
- Ship removed asphalt for recycling;
- Pre-drill for deep obstruction removal along the SOE wall alignment;
- Crush clean, reusable concrete for use as backfill in the deep excavation;
- Install electrical service from Con Edison and demobilize the temporary generator from the Site; and
- Install dewatering wells and initiate ground water extraction.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances of Total Volatile Organics (TVOCs) or odors during this reporting period.
There was one period of the fifteen-minute average concentrations of Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust] exceeding the Action Limit on Sunday, February 28, 2016, when no Site activities were being conducted.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Pre-trenching along the SOE wall alignment for the removal of shallow subsurface obstructions. Applying water with BioSolve to mitigate dust and odors.
Pre-trenching along the SOE wall alignment for the removal of shallow subsurface obstructions. Applying odor suppressant foam and water to mitigate VOCs, dust and odors.
Using non-mechanical procedures (vacuum truck) to identify utilities prior to pre-trenching along the SOE wall alignment.
Sizing concrete obstructions removed during pre-trenching along the SOE wall alignment.