Update for the Week Ending January 29, 2016
Site Mobilization Continues
- Initiated installation of the vapor management system (VMS) components;
- Initiated start-up and testing of the water treatment plant (WTP);
- Continued mobilization of equipment and supplies;
- Continued fabrication of the Temporary Containment Building (TCB) base frame;
- Continued the assembly of the TCB superstructure (frame and fabric);
- Continued the installation of Site electrical service for the water treatment plant (WTP), TCB and TCB vapor management system (VMS);
- Continued the application of water and calcium chloride for dust control;
- Continued the application of odor suppressant foam as needed for dust and odor control; and
- Maintained erosion and sediment (E&S) controls (Installed waddles - wood chip filled fabric tubes - around the Site perimeter to prevent silt and sediment from leaving the Site).
Recently completed activities:
- Installed the decontamination pad for washing trucks and equipment as they exit the Site.
- Ship impacted shallow soils for treatment and disposal;
- Ship removed asphalt for recycling;
- Decommission former monitoring wells on Site;
- Conduct the bucket soil mixing (BSM) demonstration test in the Holder No. 2 tank within the TCB;
- Install the WTP treated water discharge line beneath Kent Avenue to tie into the NYCDEP sewer line;
- Install electrical service from Con Edison and demobilize the temporary generator from the Site; and
- Install dewatering wells, initiate ground water extraction, and begin operation of the WTP.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Community air monitoring, initiated on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, continues as intrusive (ground disturbance) activities are conducted.
There were no fifteen-minute Action Limit exceedances of Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs), Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust], or odors associated with Site activities during this reporting period.
If you have any questions or comments about the work on the Site, please use the Williamsburg MGP Telephone Hotline at (718) 403-3053.
Photos of Activity
Installation of the decontamination pad for washing trucks and equipment prior to exiting the Site
Installing fabric on the eastern gable end of the TCB
Installing fabric on the western gable end of the TCB
Installing a stone ramp at the northern side truck entrance of the TCB
Loading carbon into the adsorbers for the TCB vapor management system